Tumkur University and Its Constituent’s Colleges Policy against the Ragging in accordance with the directions of Hon. Supreme Court of India, UGC and Other Regulation bodies.
Tumkur University and its constituent colleges takes most stringent view against any act of Ragging and all the prospective students are warned against indulging in any act and / abatement of ragging and their Guardians are advised to sensitize and advise their wards against the same, which may lead to most sever punishment including the initiation of criminal proceedings. The students and their guardians are strongly advised to read the rulings of Hon. Supreme Court of India as regards to the menace of ragging or may obtain the guidelines against ragging from the websites of UGC or respective regulating councils or from the University office.
At the time of admission to any of the constituent colleges of the university, all the students and their guardians will be required to submit undertaking in the prescribed format for not getting involving in any act of ragging.
Any conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of harassing, teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generation a sense of shame or eB.Ed.rrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
Punishable ingredients of Ragging including the following or any other act which is not included here but may be considered an act amounting to ragging by the competent authorities:
- Abatement to ragging
- Criminal conspiracy to rag
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging
- Public nuisance created during ragging
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt
- Wrongful restraint
- Use of Criminal force
- Assault as well as sexual offences or even unnatural offences
- Criminal trespass
- Offences against property
- Criminal intimidation
- Attempts to commit any or all the above mentioned offences against the victim’s
- Physical or psychological humiliation
- All other offences following from the definition of “Ragging”
The ragging also includes:
- Individual / collective acts / practices that involve physical assault / threat / use of physical force
- Violation of status, dignity and honor of girl student and / or SC and ST students and / or Caste based atrocities.
- Expose students to ridicule and disrespect thereby affect their self-esteem and
- Involve verbal abuse and aggression indecent gestures and obscene behavior
The ragging in above form or any other form is strictly prohibited within the premises of the college as well as on the public transport. If anybody found indulged in these activities, strict action will be taken irrespective of the extent and shall be dealt with as per the ordinance. Hon’ble Supreme Court of India has banned ragging.
Ragging is strictly prohibited in campus by law. The Cell handles any issues of harassment – mental, physical or sexual. Strict action will be taken against the violators. To prevent the ragging activities, the anti ragging committee has been constituted and brought into operation even before the start of first year classes and committee will take prompt action against the offenders. The Cell Monitors the disciplinary activities and protects the innocent and Hardworking students. No incident of ragging has occurred till date in Tumkur University.